Monday, November 8, 2010

Since having V in our home and finding out he is allergic to peanuts, we've had to make some adjustments to our pantry.  His previous foster mom told me she gave him a little peanut butter on a cracker and noticed he broke out in a rash.  His peanut allergy was confirmed when the allergist tested him.  Luckily, he wasn't allergic to any other nuts. 

This last Halloween was a little difficult when it came down to the eating of the candy.  Poor V - I kept having to remove candy from his bucket!  Next time I will definitely plan ahead and have peanut-free candy to replace the candy that I take out.  I even found gummy worms that had the peanut warning on the package! Smarties are ok, but no yogurt-covered raisins for this boy.

A friend of mine told me her kids like the Wal-mart brand of soy butter, so that is what I have bought.  Until recently.  One day I went to buy more soy butter and there wasn't any of the Wal-mart brand on the shelf.  So we bought this brand:
  I was never a fan of soy butter, but I really like this brand!  I even tried it in a fudge recipe (see the recipe below).

The whole family gave it a thumbs up, even though I didn't put enough sugar in it (I was a cup short).  I think that changed the texture of the fudge, more than the taste.

Have I mentioned that I am no Betty Crocker?  My family teases that I should be on the show that finds the world's worst cook.  I'm really not THAT bad, but I have made more than my share of  Surprise Casserole  for dinner.

Soy Butter Fudge
4 c sugar
1 c butter
3 T white corn syrup
1 5-oz. can evaporated milk
2 c soy butter
1 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. nuts (optional - we didn't add them)

In saucepan melt butter; add sugar, syrup and milk.  Bring to bubbling boil.  Reduce heat to medium, cook and stir constantly for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; add peanut butter, marshmallow creme and vanilla.  Blend until thoroughly mixed.  Pour in a 9 x 13 inch buttered pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment